Saturday, December 26, 2009

It's like going to a birthday party for someone you don't even know or acknowledge the existence of.

Christmas has been lovely so far. Forced my family to watch Up on DVD for Christmas Eve, which of course was an excellent time investment. Tomorrow I return again to the homeland for a rare gathering of mother's side of the family, given that they are mostly not incarcerated or haggling over divorce papers this year.

Oh, what's that? You want to know what Santa brought me?



Not pictured:
-The Collected Achewood Volume 1: Worst Song, Played on Ugliest Guitar
-hardcover copy of The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
-Some paints and paintbrushes
-A book on ancient Japanese gaming
-some cash
-a package filled with snacks and candy and various junk food

The three model kits are substantial time investments. I've gotten a small start on the Gundam F91 (Harrison Martin custom) in the center, but the Unicorn and Sinanju are probably not getting done until the new year. The cavernous box of the Sinanju and its contents reflect this:



That's 22 part trees there - the gray ones are for the inner mechanical frame, the red and black ones form the exterior armor, and the remaining pieces form equipment like the shield, fuel tanks, and Beam Tomahawks - easily 400+ pieces that each have to be delicately cut out with cutters and trimmed with the hobby knife or sandpaper.

In other news, grades have slowly but surely made their way online. British Literature is an A-, which means she approved of my making fun of the 1930s-era English elite and general cynicism. You and me, Dr. Nygaard.

I have to work both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Grumble grumble. Not that I think I'd be doing much any way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment