Saturday, November 7, 2009

This post brought to you by the magic of the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY

Continuing in the grand tradition of entries written after 10 in the evening.

Both roommates are out of the house at this late hour. Josh to God-knows-where and Cody to some concert for a band I've never heard of (which speaks more to my music knowledge than to his taste) and here I am alone on my stupid computer in my stupid apartment, and I could probably be doing way cooler things right now.

It's almost time to register for Spring 2010 courses and, as it always happens with class registration, it's going to stress me out. I'm almost always given a late appointment so I don't get my first choices of classes and I freak out because what if this class isn't going to help me at all in becoming a real, functioning adult?! It doesn't help that my Letters and Arts adviser's catchphrase is "I don't know anything about that" or that the English chair thinks I might be slow and/or annoying. I haven't met my specialized English adviser yet because I am lazy and intimidated haven't had the time but he's into TV, Film, and Queer Theory which is all very exciting. Also he kinda looks like Zachary Quinto.

While browsing the English major page, it occurs to me that I've had far more classes with the preeminent English faculty members than I realized. Of course, one thinks I'm a good-for-nothing because I may have fallen asleep in his class once or twice (honestly, I do think John Donne was kind of cool, but boy do you like to hear yourself talk), one was pretty cool but probably doesn't remember me (even if her TA remembers me BY NAME), and one thinks I'm just quiet despite my good essays on early film criticism, so we'll see where this all goes.

Jon Stewart's impression of Glenn Beck made my entire week. Linked for your convenience. He's got the whole thing - right down to the cognitive dissonance and random taking on and off of glasses. Al Gore visiting both Stewart and Colbert was pretty hilarious too. I like how our nation basically has two choices as far as vice presidents go - you have either the freewheeling guy with a wacky sense of humor like Gore or Biden - or the evil, shapeshifting master of darkness like Cheney or Agnew.

0 comments:

Post a Comment