Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Top-shelf failure by any measure

Why did nobody inform me that both Inara and Wash were going to be on ABC's V? I realize that I have to take some of the blame myself for not recognizing Morena Baccarin in short hair, but the rest of you have no excuse as far as Alan Tudyk's involvement goes!

In British Literature, we will be reading T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland, which you may know is one of the most important poems of the twentieth century (or so Wikipedia tells me). It's filled with all sorts of literary and cultural references and allusions. So the instructor thought it would be cool to have us pick a few of the references and report back to the class so that we can form a better view of just what the hell the poem is about. She listed as many as she could think of and allowed us to pick two to research.

I ended up with "Tristan and Isolde" and Oliver Goldsmith's "She Stoops to Conquer" because I wasn't quick enough on the draw. She called on people and eliminated choices as she went, resulting in all-out war to get desired topics. I could have gotten Shakespeare's The Tempest, which I really wanted, but she gave it to some jackhole who couldn't make up his mind. Because, let me tell you, I can write some effing essays on The Tempest. But I guess I'll have to do some actual research like a sucker.

I would like to go see A Serious Man. It's what the Coen Brothers (responsible for No Country for Old Men and the under-appreciated Burn After Reading) can make now that they have oodles of cash and cred, what with the Academy Awards and everything. I don't know how much it'll connect with me though, being that I (A.) am not Jewish, and (B.) did not grow up during the sixties. Also, I'm poor and shouldn't be blowing money on movies.

I will however, make an exception for the upcoming Men Who Stare at Goats. With a cast like Obi-Wan Kenobi, Lex Luthor, The Dude and George Clooney, it's kind of an instant sell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment