Sunday, October 18, 2009

Out of my way, I got OPINIONS!

Occasionally I will review things.



The Brothers Bloom is possibly one of my favorite films of the year. Wikipedia describes it as postmodern, which I guess is a little bit accurate. It's a comic, fantastical heist thriller that seems almost play-like in its mise-en-scene. It stars Adrien Brody and Mark Ruffalo as gentlemen con-artists, with the former playing whichever parts the latter writes up for him. Rinko Kikuchi rounds out the team as the hot Asian chick mute demolitions expert. Rachel Weisz has a comic role as a secluded heiress who happens to be their next mark. Hijinks and romance ensue.

The film is delightful, switching from comic to tragic in turns, with the script and actors never missing a beat. It's just the sort of whimsical story I can really get behind, and I'm sure I'll try and make everyone I know see it.



I also finished Alan Weisman's The World Without Us, which was fascinating. I don't usually read much non-fiction, but it may be that I have a predilection for thought-exercises involving the end of mankind. It's at once easy to read and understand while being perfectly scholarly. There are chapters on what will survive, what won't, and even one on how we will go (who knew there were people pushing for voluntary extinction?) However, I think I'm tickled most by the fact that Mount Rushmore will be around long into the future, so that whichever civilization replaces ours may still have the mug of Teddy Roosevelt looking sternly down upon them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment